Skip to main content

Genius Bar Customer Support Experience Part 1

Lets do the whole thing start to finish, I wanted to document this

1) For my own memory
2) For others who had never used the Genius Bar before.

I went on the Apple.com/uk site this morning and booked a spot at the Trafford Centre Genius Bar, this was really easy, fill in a few minor details (Your name, email address and Mobile phone number) and select a slot from those available. These are in 20 Minute segments. I was aiming to leave work at 15:00, the store is about 40 minutes from work and knowing my record for leaving when I want, I booked for 16:40, this would allow me a leeway of an hour for holdups and getting caught on the way out of work. The webpage then confirmed the appointment date and time and had basic instructions. If I had any criticism of this process, it was that there was no email confirmation to both remind and reassure that the booking has been made, this would be nitpicking though.

I got to the Apple Store in the Trafford centre and Looked at the kit, but there's only so much looking and playing you can do, especially when you know the Operating system and equipment fairly well. I was early, the confirmation web page said that you should wait for your name to be shouted, and I didn't want to miss my slot. The time came and it quickly became clear that I could then go to the Bar and I would be dealt with as soon as there was someone free. From the look of the screen behind the desk, 8 people had booked into the 20 minute slot, I was there for the full 20 minutes and only three showed, maybe it's a common occurence for people not to show.

One of the Gents behind the counter (There were two of them working when I arrived) came to look at my Powerbook G4, I explained that there were white spots on the screen. He booted it to get a look and hummed and hawed before looking at his own powerbook behind the counter which I can only guess has technical documents on there. He asked me how long I'd had the powerbook, and then explained to me that the replacement program had finished last weekend, and that I should have brought it in earlier. I explained that I had looked at the documentation on the website on Monday and that it was still there then.

The Tech explained he'd have to go and speak to someone and disappeared into the back. I was left twiddling my thumbs for five minutes before he returned. He explained that the replacement program had finished, however for good customer service and because my PB's screen did seem to be spectacularly bad, that they'd replace the screen free of charge.

Now to be honest, if they'd refused to replace it, I would have kicked up a stink. That fact is that the screen was damaged due to a known manufacturing defect, and goods must be fit for the purpose for up to Six years in European law, but luckily I didn't have to stamp my foot.

it took the Tech about 10 minutes to book the laptop in, now I have no way of knowing if this was him or the system, but I strongly suspect that it's the system, he had to fill out online forms, look for parts online and fill out paperwork. To me it seems a waste of time to have someone who should be helping customers with problems filling out 'paperwork' But again this was completed and I signed for the work.

We had to fill out a sheet to mark any scratches on the PB, but I wasn't given a copy, which seems a little strange and I signed a bill for the work, the bill said that I would pay £0.00 for the work to be completed.

Everyone was extremely nice, nothing was rushed (Although it wasn't particularly busy) and I felt like I was a valued customer, which after dealing with Microsoft on a regular basis was a little bit of a surprise.

When I have my Powerbook back, I'll finish the story off, but so far I'm very impressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

parkrun HQ and Waist band leads for dogs

I’ve sat with the parkrun decision about Waist harnesses for dogs being banned at parkrun events for a few days now. I want to get my thoughts down. Please be clear that these are my words, they’re not said on behalf of Heaton parkrun or parkrun HQ (HQ for the rest of the post). This is solely my opinion. I can see this from many angles having been a runner, worked in health and safety, dealt with many incidents, been an ambassador and also part of the core team at Heaton. I've spoken to people at HQ a few times and they're passionate people who work more than the normal amount of hours to ensure that people all over the world can be at an event on a Saturday (and Sundays for Juniors) From a runner's perspective, all dogs are different, it depends how well you’ve trained them how well they run (no matter the lead/harness arrangement) There will be great and sensible runners such as Anna McEnteggart and Alan McEnteggart who will likely rarely if ever have problems. There wil

Omnifocus 2 and why I'm disappointed

Before I start, there are some things I want to make clear I've not played with Omnifocus 2 so this post is based on reviews of the launch event and blog posts from others. Most of the posts I've read are consistent in what they say so I've based my thoughts around confirmed changes I respect Omni as a company they are driven and focused. Omni engage with their customers (not users) and provide quality products at a fully justified premium price. This article is not a criticism of the decisions they've made. just my take on Omnifocus 2. I use Omnifocus all of the time Of that usage 95% is on the iPad, 4% on the iPhone and 1% is on the Mac. unfortunately I use a windows computer at work. I love Omnifocus it's a brilliant product which helps me out several times a day to ensure I get everything done that I need to. I've used it exclusively for the past two and a half years Omni have worked incredibly hard on Omnifocus 2, this article is not in any wa

Sand boxing and background apps on IOS

I use lots of Apple products, and I use lots of apps on those Apple products. Several of those apps require syncing or regular downloads to be useful, such as: Evernote Omnifocus Newsstand Textexpander Downcast Feeddler Pro Pocket 1Password Tweetbot I also use a Wi-Fi only IPad.   One of the largest annoyances I have is when I open an App, e.g. Evernote and I have to then wait whilst it syncs every change since the last time I opened it, in a lot of cases, I can't use the app until it's finished and I may have forgotten what I was going to do. Even worse, I'm offline and the note I want isn't available to me when I need it. Yes, I could set up a routine to open each app every morning on all three of my devices and allow them to sync, but why don't more apps include options to sync on geolocation. My ideal would be that Apple allowed developers to build hourly syncing into their apps, but with this background sync ha