Skip to main content

How to handle making a mistake in customer service

The Mac app store has made a splash this week for lots of good reasons, unfortunately one developer has dropped the ball in the transition and caused a huge problem both for herself and for her customers.

Sophie of Sophiestication took the reasonable view that if she was going to move Coversutra over to the Mac App Store (MAS) she did not have the time and resources to maintain two separate code branches and would go exclusively to the MAS, She posted to her company blog at the start of this week that this was going to be the case and this is when the backlash started. 

In the MAS, Cover Sutra costs $5 for version 2.5 therefore if anyone with an earlier version wants an upgrade, they have to buy the version from the MAS.

Unfortunately, what sophie forgot (and I genuinely believe that she forgot) was that in the coversutra license agreement between Sophiestication and any customer who bought version 2, it promises free upgrades up until version 3.0 is released. So by releasing 2.5 as a paid for upgrade, Sophie had broken her own agreement. 

On the comments of Sophie's blog post, customers made their feelings known that they felt disappointed that they'd have to pay again, but most felt let down that the promise made had been broken. Some customers resorted to name calling or worse in a gross overexageration

this is where Sophie went wrong though, she attacked her customers for pointing out her error and tried to justify her decision. at no point did she say sorry.

the lesson to learn here is not how to handle a move to a new platform, it's how to handle making a mistake  

what Sophie should have done was

1) Admitted that a mistake had been made
2) apologised
3) Explained how she would move forward on this, hopefully in a way that her customers like.

instead Sophiestication have lost a lot of current and future customers and Sophie has personally and professionally suffered a massive amount of damage to her and her company's reputation

If you want to see what I'm talking about you can read the exchanges here. 

http://www.sophiestication.com/blog/coversutra-2-5/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

parkrun HQ and Waist band leads for dogs

I’ve sat with the parkrun decision about Waist harnesses for dogs being banned at parkrun events for a few days now. I want to get my thoughts down. Please be clear that these are my words, they’re not said on behalf of Heaton parkrun or parkrun HQ (HQ for the rest of the post). This is solely my opinion. I can see this from many angles having been a runner, worked in health and safety, dealt with many incidents, been an ambassador and also part of the core team at Heaton. I've spoken to people at HQ a few times and they're passionate people who work more than the normal amount of hours to ensure that people all over the world can be at an event on a Saturday (and Sundays for Juniors) From a runner's perspective, all dogs are different, it depends how well you’ve trained them how well they run (no matter the lead/harness arrangement) There will be great and sensible runners such as Anna McEnteggart and Alan McEnteggart who will likely rarely if ever have problems. There wil

Omnifocus 2 and why I'm disappointed

Before I start, there are some things I want to make clear I've not played with Omnifocus 2 so this post is based on reviews of the launch event and blog posts from others. Most of the posts I've read are consistent in what they say so I've based my thoughts around confirmed changes I respect Omni as a company they are driven and focused. Omni engage with their customers (not users) and provide quality products at a fully justified premium price. This article is not a criticism of the decisions they've made. just my take on Omnifocus 2. I use Omnifocus all of the time Of that usage 95% is on the iPad, 4% on the iPhone and 1% is on the Mac. unfortunately I use a windows computer at work. I love Omnifocus it's a brilliant product which helps me out several times a day to ensure I get everything done that I need to. I've used it exclusively for the past two and a half years Omni have worked incredibly hard on Omnifocus 2, this article is not in any wa

Sand boxing and background apps on IOS

I use lots of Apple products, and I use lots of apps on those Apple products. Several of those apps require syncing or regular downloads to be useful, such as: Evernote Omnifocus Newsstand Textexpander Downcast Feeddler Pro Pocket 1Password Tweetbot I also use a Wi-Fi only IPad.   One of the largest annoyances I have is when I open an App, e.g. Evernote and I have to then wait whilst it syncs every change since the last time I opened it, in a lot of cases, I can't use the app until it's finished and I may have forgotten what I was going to do. Even worse, I'm offline and the note I want isn't available to me when I need it. Yes, I could set up a routine to open each app every morning on all three of my devices and allow them to sync, but why don't more apps include options to sync on geolocation. My ideal would be that Apple allowed developers to build hourly syncing into their apps, but with this background sync ha