Skip to main content

Android, which version, which handset, which app store?

Android was bought by Google back in 2005 and verbally sold to handset makers as a flexible, upgradable mobile operating system.

Google's (don't be evil) take on this was that they were bringing a mobile operating system based on a Linux kernel with their search technology to the masses, it would compete with Windows Mobile and Apple's iPhone operating system (now IOS) in the handset market.

Since Android was unveiled to the general public it has found homes on many handsets from HTC, Samsung and the ill fated Dell Streak.

With Google handing over operating system control to the handset makers though, Android has become increasingly fragmented with delays of months between a new version of Android being released and the hardware company adapting and offering that version for their handset.

The news this week is that Android 3 (AKA Honeycomb) will be released soon which will provide better support for tablets. The rumour mill is buzzing with the news that Honeycomb comes with hardware requirements which means that very few if any of the existing tablets and handsets will be able to run the new version.

This move is reminiscent of Microsoft's recent Windows Mobile strategy where WM6.5 handsets cannot be upgraded to WM7.

The larger problem for Android app developers is that there are several different application stores. Which means a headache for submission of new apps to the various platforms, and deciding which versions of Android to support..

Android may be gaining Market share on everyone else, but so did Windows Mobile when it first came to prominence after it supplanted Windows CE on handsets and mobile computers, but Microsoft dropped the ball through lack of a clear strategy.

Google needs to strike a balance between where it is now and Apple's total command of IOS to provide a common interface and experience to all users.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

parkrun HQ and Waist band leads for dogs

I’ve sat with the parkrun decision about Waist harnesses for dogs being banned at parkrun events for a few days now. I want to get my thoughts down. Please be clear that these are my words, they’re not said on behalf of Heaton parkrun or parkrun HQ (HQ for the rest of the post). This is solely my opinion. I can see this from many angles having been a runner, worked in health and safety, dealt with many incidents, been an ambassador and also part of the core team at Heaton. I've spoken to people at HQ a few times and they're passionate people who work more than the normal amount of hours to ensure that people all over the world can be at an event on a Saturday (and Sundays for Juniors) From a runner's perspective, all dogs are different, it depends how well you’ve trained them how well they run (no matter the lead/harness arrangement) There will be great and sensible runners such as Anna McEnteggart and Alan McEnteggart who will likely rarely if ever have problems. There wil

Sand boxing and background apps on IOS

I use lots of Apple products, and I use lots of apps on those Apple products. Several of those apps require syncing or regular downloads to be useful, such as: Evernote Omnifocus Newsstand Textexpander Downcast Feeddler Pro Pocket 1Password Tweetbot I also use a Wi-Fi only IPad.   One of the largest annoyances I have is when I open an App, e.g. Evernote and I have to then wait whilst it syncs every change since the last time I opened it, in a lot of cases, I can't use the app until it's finished and I may have forgotten what I was going to do. Even worse, I'm offline and the note I want isn't available to me when I need it. Yes, I could set up a routine to open each app every morning on all three of my devices and allow them to sync, but why don't more apps include options to sync on geolocation. My ideal would be that Apple allowed developers to build hourly syncing into their apps, but with this background sync ha

Omnifocus 2 and why I'm disappointed

Before I start, there are some things I want to make clear I've not played with Omnifocus 2 so this post is based on reviews of the launch event and blog posts from others. Most of the posts I've read are consistent in what they say so I've based my thoughts around confirmed changes I respect Omni as a company they are driven and focused. Omni engage with their customers (not users) and provide quality products at a fully justified premium price. This article is not a criticism of the decisions they've made. just my take on Omnifocus 2. I use Omnifocus all of the time Of that usage 95% is on the iPad, 4% on the iPhone and 1% is on the Mac. unfortunately I use a windows computer at work. I love Omnifocus it's a brilliant product which helps me out several times a day to ensure I get everything done that I need to. I've used it exclusively for the past two and a half years Omni have worked incredibly hard on Omnifocus 2, this article is not in any wa